Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Calcutta Curry


When I was homeschooling everyone back in the mid-90's, we were part of a coop. We'd meet once a week and learn, chat, etc. One week there was a missionary coming to speak from India. So we were supposed to bring Indian food -- and I found out the night before! Fortunately I had this sitting in my freezer; when I made it I was totally unaware I was making "Indian" food -- but everyone loved it!

CALCUTTA CURRY

vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium red pepper, cut into strips (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger, or use fresh grated ginger if you like
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 can Campbell's Cream of Asparagus soup
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsps. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

hot cooked rice
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup chopped peanuts or cashews



Over medium-high heat, stir-fry the chicken in the vegetable oil until golden.

Reduce heat to medium and remove the chicken from the skillet or wok. In the remaining oil, stir-fry the red bell pepper, curry powder, ginger, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder until the bell pepper is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.

Stir in the soup, milk, and 1 Tbsp. cilantro (or parsley). Heat to boiling. Return chicken to the mixture, and reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve over rice, and sprinkle with coconut and nuts.


Jen's Notes:
1. I always use more than 1 lb. of chicken, and the sauce is still enough.
2. You can substitute green pepper for the red and it still works.
3. You can also substitute fresh garlic and dried parsley, or just omit the cilantro/parsley all together. That will work fine too.
4. I always use cashews because I always have them on hand. But any nut you really like will work.

rating: 3 stars. Everyone likes it a lot.


0 comments: