Friday, May 22, 2009

Quick Tip

I make bread about every 2-3 days in our breadmaker. I've done this for years, since it appalls me that the cost of a loaf of bread is $1.00+.

Here's my basic recipe --

1 cup plus 2-3 T water -- enough to fill a one-cup liquid measure all the way to the top
2 eggs
2-3 T. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. instant mashed potatoes
1/4 - 1/2 c. instant dried milk
3 c. flour
2 tsp. yeast

The other night I was completely out of eggs AND bread. Instead of running to the store at 11PM, I decided to try and use mayonnaise.

I know. Mayonnaise IN bread? Not ON it?

Well, it worked! My philosophy was this: mayonnaise is basically just eggs and oil. So since these are two things I commonly use in my bread, they worked. In fact, the girls commented that it was really good bread -- and it was. Very moist and soft.

So there you go. If you're out of eggs and your recipe uses both eggs and oil, try using mayonnaise instead. It just might work.

xoxox

0 comments: