Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Ever-changing Wesner Kitchen

There are now 2.  Two Wesner kitchens, that is.  One in NC and one in IN.  This is because we have one household in Indiana, with my Hunk O Man's job and the twins who live with him while they go to college -- and then there's me and the Kid, who's finishing high school in NC before heading off next August to college here in NC.

And then there are the two other ones in NC, at their respective colleges.

This is a hard separation.  It makes me appreciate those families who have a member in the military, who is gone for a length of time.  It's just difficult to be away from the ones you love, especially when it's your husband!

The two main kitchens, in IN and NC, are unpacked.  But some of them remain in OH, in storage.  This is starting to sound like some kind of riddle, isn't it?  I'm starting to think I'm a woman doesn't have real a kitchen.  I just have kitchen appliances and gadgets spread all over the midwest.

One thing I can say for sure, however, that the kitchen in NC (where I am) currently smells of burned noodles.  I tried chicken and rice casserole using noodles.  Not a great idea - there is a reason why tuna noodle casserole is made the way it is.  You have to cook the noodles before you put them in the oven.  You just can't do the same thing with noodles that you can rice.

I hear that the IN kitchen had chicken enchiladas last week.  Apparently they were fabulous.  Not that I think they weren't -- I just think that things usually taste better when it's the first time you've made them from a recipe your mom gave you.

So that is the state of my kitchen.  I'm hoping to make it smell really good with caramel apples in a few minutes.  We'll see how that goes.  I'll keep you posted.

0 comments: